MTB Technical Services - CNC Engineering, CAD/CAM, Software Development

FANUC Settings
Management
Utility Software
powered by

MTB Tech Blog

Using USB on a Fanuc 0i-D/30i Series Control

The FANUC 0i-D and 30i Series Controls are now supporting USB.
This allows users to use USB Flash drives for program storage as opposed to PCMCIA Adapters with Compact Flash Memory Cards.
There are several advantage to using USB for NC Program storage.

USB now provides users with the ability to create and use Folders to separate and classify their program data.
Additionally, users are no longer limited to an 8 character file name prefix or a 3 character filename suffix. In order to use the USB connection on your FANUC, first verify that a connector has actually been installed by your Machine Tool Builder.

I/O Functionality is controlled by FANUC but it is the Machine Tool Builder who ultimately decides if the hardware to support it is actually installed. Once you have verified that the USB Port actually exists, simply pres MDI and then press the OFFSET/SETTING button. Change the I/O Channel to 17 and you'll be off and running!

7 Comments to Using USB on a Fanuc 0i-D/30i Series Control:

Comments RSS
Shelly Cook on Thursday, January 31, 2013 7:02 AM
About Using USB on a Fanuc 0i-D/30i Series Control which you have come to post here is really enlightening to all of us. I must bookmark your site in my PC for it's significance. Thanks.
Reply to comment

Santiago Dorantes on Wednesday, December 04, 2013 1:07 PM
Hi, I´d like to know if is it posible to run dns with the usb memory
Reply to comment

Tim Markoski on Monday, December 16, 2013 7:39 AM
Santiago, Yes, you can run DNC (Drip Feed) from a USB drive.

Tom Whent on Wednesday, January 01, 2014 7:47 PM
There seems to be very little information available on how to run DNC off of the USB flash drive. Can you give me a point in the right direction please? I have been playing with this trying to run some larger CAM profiling programs on our new 0i equipped VMC. It seems completely foreign to me how Fanuc could be so antiquated right out of the box. 500kB memory in 2013? I am used to working with Heidenhain, so this "new" 0i is quite a shock. The words asinine and needlessly complicated come to mind frequently....VIC20 anyone?
Reply to comment

Tim Markoski on Tuesday, January 07, 2014 7:30 AM
Tom, Here's a graphic that will show you how. It describes the procedure for a Memory Card Make sure your I/O channel is set to 17 and simply pick the USB instead of the Memory Card. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/82220297/DNC.png

Tony on Thursday, May 15, 2014 2:15 PM
hi, I was wondering if there is a parameter that I would need to change to cut off the chip conveyor, we are not using it but alarm keeps coming up.
Reply to comment

Tim Markoski on Friday, May 16, 2014 3:03 PM
Tony, You'll need to consult with the machine tool builder. Typically, that type of thing is handled via a Keep Relay setting.